When I journal, I want it to be meaningful. Before I started using these journal prompts listed below, it felt like I was writing the same thing over and over, never really delving into my thoughts and emotions. For this New Year, I want to use the prompts each night as I reflect on the day and my current state of mind.
50 Examples of Journal Prompts
1. What does your dream life look like? Describe it in detail.
2. What does your ideal day look like?
3. Where do you see yourself in 6 months? A year? 5 years? 10 years?
4. What do you know to be true today that you didn’t know a year ago?
5. In this moment, what are four things you’re grateful for?
6. What limiting beliefs do you have that’s keeping you from reaching your dream life?
7. What distractions are hindering your productivity? How can you reduce them?
8. What actions can you take today to simplify your life?
9. When do I feel most in tune with myself?
10. If you could talk to anyone dead or alive, it would be….. because ….
11. Write down your top 10 goals to complete by the end of the year.
12. Who do you look up to the most? Why?
13. If someone else described you, what do you think they’d say? Why?
14. What does happiness mean to you?
15. How have you changed in the last 5 years? What’s the biggest lesson you learned?
16. If today was your last day, what would you do?
17. If you could give advice to your younger self, what would you say?
18. How do you spend your Sundays? And how can you improve your Sunday routine for a more productive week ahead?
19. What do you need more of in your life?
20. If you could have any three things in the world, what would they be?
21. Describe in great detail what 5 years from now looks like. Where do you live? What’s your job?
22. What are 10 things you love about yourself? Why?
23. What are you most grateful for in your life? List at least 10 things.
24. What activities sets your soul on fire? (If you aren’t sure, then think back to your childhood. What did you love to do as a kid?)
25. How can you feel more fulfilled in your life?
26. If you couldn’t fail, what would you do?
27. What do I need more of in my life? Less of?
28. What are my best qualities?
29. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
30. What’s your dream job?
31. Who do you look up to the most? Why?
32. Write down the type of person you wish you could be. Create an avatar. What’s their personality? Where do they work and live? How do they react to difficult situations? Think about ways you can bridge the gap between who you are now and the avatar you created.
33. If you could describe yourself in one word, what would it be and why?
34. Write down 5 positive affirmations about yourself. Repeat them daily.
35. What’s your favorite memory?
36. How did your darkest moments shape you into who you are today?
37. If you could live in any other time period what would it be? And what would you be doing?
38. When do you feel the most at peace?
39. Set a 2 minute timer and write down whatever comes to your mind.
40. What can you do today to move you closer to your goals?
41. What do I want to be known as?
42. What do you value most in life?
43. What’s one toxic thing (or person) in your life you need to let go of?
44. What fears hold you back from living your best life?
45. Draw a picture in your journal of something that makes you happy.
46. What’s something you’ve always wanted to do, but was too scared?
47. How can you take better care of yourself?
48. What self-care practices will you try today?
49. At the end of life, what would you want to be remembered by?
50. What makes you feel alive? And when was the last time you felt that way?