In October, Bridal Market returned to New York City after being on pause for a year to debut new collections from bridal designers across the globe. Melange de Blanc, a pop-up bridal market concept co-founded by Christina Wettstein and Kimberly Marcoux of bridal sales showroom Coterie White, had over 45 designers show at their stunning space in Centre 415. The notion behind the event was to have as many bridal designers in space to make it extremely easy for buyers to come see all their new collections without having to travel from venue to venue, as well as to have new designers at the venue that buyers can be introduced to – a win-win for everyone.
Melange de Blanc has previously put on pop-up shows in Palm Springs, Atlanta, and Palm Beach which were all increasingly more successful, selling out every time and adding more designers to each new location. For the New York market, the dynamic duo were blown away at the number of inquiries they received from designers to join their event and sold out yet again for their biggest event thus far. The designers ranged from well-known classic labels to up and coming start-ups, including brands such as Anna Kara, Dany Tabet, Jovani, Love Honor, Untamed Petals, and Watters.
Brides Take New York City
Q&A with Co-Founders Christina Wettstein and Kimberly Marcoux
- How did you develop the Melange de Blanc concept?
- We developed the concept when we realized buyers wanted to find a new way to shop. At the height of covid, people were yearning for in-person contact in a smaller capacity and a more relaxed setting so we realized if we can scope out luxury boutique hotels all over the country that we can host a smaller percentage of buyers and we would have a formula for success. We search all over the United States to find the most “instagrammable” boutique hotels that can accommodate our buyers & designers and build out from there.
- Why is the Melange de Blanc concept the future of bridal markets?
- Ultimately, we know that the world now appreciates a more intimate and meaningful experience and that carries over to the bridal market scene. As long as we are in existence our goal will always be to offer exactly that in our bridal markets!
- In creating Melange de Blanc, what are some of your lessons learned? What has been teaching moments for both of you?
- One thing we learned about our markets is that what makes our events special is the well-curated designer lineup. We search all over the globe and approach brands from all over the world to bring in to balance out well-known anchor brands for a one of a kind experience. Our lesson was that we can’t have every designer join, but rather highlight the best designers for our buyers.
- What wedding gown trends do you expect to be most prominent for Spring 2022?
- We are seeing an ode to a more traditional bride, so more satin ball gowns, beading is back in a big way and we even saw gloves this season!
- Which brands are currently the most popular with buyers? Why are these brands the most appealing?
- Today’s brides are increasingly independently-minded and aren’t worried about a name brand anymore – there has been a shift towards smaller, independent brands rather than traditional name brands as they are on the hunt for something new and different. This trend has also funneled up to buyers as they are eager to find unique styles that have a fresher more Instagram- worthy feel. SAVIN London has been particularly popular for this reason, along with Besa, Daalarna Couture and Chantel Lauren.
- What can attendees expect at the next pop-up market in Scottsdale, AZ?
- Our signature experience for Melange is the networking events. We believe so strongly in strengthening partnerships and developing relationships during these markets as it is a slower & more enjoyable pace than a traditional New York Market. We host two events each season and this season we will have Tacos & Tequila to welcome everyone and a Gala with a Mannequin Garden to celebrate the event.
- Do you have any pop-up markets scheduled in 2022?
- We do! We are releasing the next location in January of 2022, but we can promise it will be warm and very chic.