It is said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but how many times a week do you eat it?
After sleeping, breakfast breaks the overnight fasting period. It replenishes your supply of glucose to boost your energy levels while providing other essential nutrients required for good health.
So how many Americans are eating their breakfast every day? Well, the team at online fitness resource Total Shape has used Statista survey data from over 2,700 Americans to reveal how often they eat a morning meal.
Over a third of Americans (35 percent) eat breakfast every day.
Just over a fifth (21 percent) eat breakfast 4-6 times a week, while another fifth (20 percent) eat breakfast 1-3 times a week.
Over one in ten (12 percent), Americans only eat breakfast a few times a month. Six percent only eat breakfast a few times a year, and another 6 percent never eat breakfast.
Using the same survey from Statista, the team at Total Shape also discovered the most popular breakfast food in the US.
The most popular breakfast food in the US is eggs, with 33 percent of Americans saying they are their favorite.
Bacon and sausage are the second most popular breakfast food in the US, with 18 percent.
Twelve percent of Americans said pancakes and waffles are their favorite, while 10 percent said bagels and toast.
Cereal is the favorite breakfast food for 9 percent of Americans, while 4 percent said muffins are their favorite.
Fourteen percent said other foods were their favorite. This could include fruits, smoothies, yogurt, croissants, etc.
The team at Total Shape has also revealed some go-to breakfast recipes of Hollywood’s A-listers that help them feel good and remain healthy.
Reese Witherspoon’s Healthy Green Smoothie
- Two heads of romaine lettuce
- Half a cup of spinach
- Half a cup of coconut water
- 1 whole banana
- 1 whole apple
- 1 whole pear
- 1 whole lemon
- Pour the coconut water into a blender
- Chop up the romaine lettuce and the fruits into small chunks
- Add the fruit into the blender, along with the spinach
- Blend until smooth consistency
Witherspoon told her Instagram followers that she had had this smoothie every day for the past nine years. The Oscar-winning actress has the smoothie at around 9/10 in the morning and then claims she isn’t hungry till 1 o’clock. She also claims the healthy breakfast is excellent for the skin, hair, and nails.
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson’s Mammoth Breakfast
- 10oz cod fillet
- 4 egg whites
- 5oz oatmeal
- Bake the cod fillet in the oven for around 20 minutes at 400°F
- Add half a cup of oats to 1 cup of water or milk
- Mix egg whites into a bowl with the oatmeal and microwave for 2-3 minutes
- Place cod fillet in the side and enjoy
Dwayne Johnson made headlines for saying he eats seven meals daily and around 5,000 calories! For his first meal of the day, he enjoys oatmeal with egg whites and cod as a protein source.
Taylor Swift’s Hearty Crepes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 eggs
- 100 grams of buckwheat flour
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 100 grams of sliced ham
- 1 tablespoon of chives
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- Preheat the oven to 360°F and likely grease the baking trays
- Add milk, sugar, eggs, buckwheat flour, and butter to a blender and blend until smooth
- Heat butter in a pan on a low heat and add the crepe mixture and cook for two minutes. Flip and cook for another 30 seconds
- When cooked, add the cheese and ham and fold the crepe in half
- Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven
Pop star Taylor Swift has said to enjoy a hearty breakfast in the mornings to help her feel energized, especially when performing. The singer said she always makes sure her fridge is stocked with ham and cheese so she can make the savory crepes as her go-to meal.