Recently, I conducted an interview with Lorraine Brantner, a Gemologist with James Allen.
1. Why do you believe that solitaire engagement rings are the most popular style?
Solitaire settings have remained the most popular style for engagement rings due to their timeless design. While solitaires are the most traditional and most often simple design choice, they showcase the center diamond or gemstone perfectly. Solitaire engagement settings can allow more freedom when it comes to the design of the wedding band, plus they allow you to focus your funds into the center stone.
2. Will Halo or Three Stone engagement rings overtake the solitaire engagement ring?
Solitaire settings have proven they are here to stay for generations to come! While other styles such as halo and three stone flow a bit in terms of their popularity, solitaire styles have remained steadfast with customers. We have seen more fanciful and decorative setting designs in recent years, so if you are interested in a halo or three stone style there are many options to choose from.
3. Since Kate Middleton was engaged to Prince William in 2010, much emphasis has been on her engagement ring, most likely because it belonged to late Princess Diana. Since their engagement and subsequent marriage, the 12-carat sapphire ring rests perfectly on Catherine, Princess of Wales’ left hand as it has been revealed that Princess Catherine’s ring size is identical to the ring size of Princess Diana. Since 2010, have you seen an influx of sales of colored gemstone engagement rings?
Celebrity (and Royal!) engagements tend to influence engagement styles. To this day, there are still many customers shopping for gemstone engagement rings with blue sapphire and emerald center stones as current favorites.
4. If a man is planning to surprise his girlfriend with a proposal, what is the best way to determine her engagement ring style without her input?
Think about your partner’s overall sense of style and their day-to-day activities. If they tend to wear minimal or simple jewelry/accessories or have an active lifestyle, consider a simple engagement ring such as a solitaire, bezel or even a three stone for added sparkle. If your partner likes flashier, bold accessories and clothing, they may gravitate towards a halo or whimsical side-stone design.
5. How can one fit an engagement ring into their budget, especially if it’s limited?
A simple solitaire setting allows you to put the maximum amount of your budget towards the center stone. Keep in mind you do not have to have a D Flawless quality diamond for it to be stunning. Open up your search preferences to near colorless and SI clarity diamonds, plus shop just under the “magic numbers” in carat weight. A 0.90ct looks the same size as a 1.00ct, but you are more likely to find better prices by staying just under the full carat weight. Also, get an opinion from a diamond expert such as the team from James Allen. We are non-commission based and love helping customers find the prettiest diamonds and gemstones for the best value!
14K White Gold Presentation Solitaire (Six Prong), Setting Price $250
14K White Gold Rope Solitaire Engagement Ring, Setting Price $250
14K Yellow Gold Cushion Outline Pavé Engagement Ring, Setting Price $1,950
14k Yellow Gold Pavé Halo and Shank Diamond Engagement Ring (Pear Center), Setting Price $1,530
14K White Gold Marquise Shape Three Stone Ring, Setting Price $1,250
14K White Gold Three Stone Micropavé Diamond Engagement Ring, Setting Price $1,900
14K White Gold Bird of Paradise Engagement Ring, Setting Price $1,630
14K White Gold Halo Setting, Emerald Cushion Gemstone Ring, Setting Price $4,210